Just because you post great content doesn’t mean your target audience will find it. LinkedIn long-form publications has leveled the playing field for content marketing, everyone has an equal chance to share their ideas, strategies, tactics and educational content. However, there is no pixie dust, no magic potion and no guarantees that if you build it they will come.
We have all heard and probably experienced the significant shift in the way people buy, but it wasn’t overnight. Google has been around since 1998 and they shifted the knowledge power, everyone now had access to answers and no longer relied on “the salesperson” to inform them. Web 2.0 quickly followed in 1999 where users could interact and collaborate with each other (Social Media), create content and share it with a virtual community, in stark contrast to websites where people were limited to the passive viewing.
During this time, the SEO frenzie was underway, vying for top billing through keywords and backlinks. Initially “he with the most marketing budget won”. If you invested in a great SEO firm and pay-per-click, you had a significant competitive advantage.
Email marketing took off and soon came the inbound lead generation movement which is still very relevant and has a significant role in Social Selling. Inbound marketing essentially is driving potential buyers to customized branded landing pages designed to exchange your content for the prospect’s contact information, ultimately gathering leads. It is a brilliant model and works well when prospecting your existing email list to determine who is interested in your “stuff”.
The challenge has always been in how to get new people, fresh eyes and an expanded targeted audience to see it.
Here are 9 steps to getting more followers, views to your content, likes, comments and shares:
- Create content that engages your target market. HOW TO: CLICK HERE for 7 Elements for a Successful Blog Post.
- Share your blog post in LinkedIn Groups that are aligned with your message. From the blog post, you are provided with share buttons that make this very simple. HOW TO: Click on the “in” button, click “post to groups” fill in title and details. then in the “Groups” box begin typing the name of your groups beginning with “A” and select the groups from the dropdown that you wish to post. Then type in “B” and repeat the steps. Continue the the alphabet until you have chosen all of your groups and click share.
- Create a list of 10 or so professionals (strategic alliances) that work with a similar target audience as you and commit to sharing each other’s content every time you post. No one likes to be the first one to “like” or “comment”, so if you get it started, their networks will see they liked your post and your views will grow exponentially. HOW TO: From that same “in” share button mentioned in #2, click “send to individuals” at the bottom, begin typing their name and choosing from the drop down (you must be 1st degree connections). You can send up to 50 people at one time. Be sure to type in a personalized note: XXX, I just posted a blog on TITLE, please “like”, “comment” and “share” and I will do the same the next time you post on LinkedIn. Thank you in advance for your support. – Brynne and send. (be sure to uncheck “allow others to see each others names” to blind copy, otherwise everyone will see all the names you send it to)
- Share it with 50 targeted group members every day that you are not connected to yet. HOW TO: Click the “members tab” in the group, type in the title or keywords of people you would like to message, click on message and send: XXX, I wanted to share with you a blog TITLE LINK that offers some industry insights to CEOs. I would love to hear your thoughts and invite you to connect with me on LinkedIn. -Brynne Tillmanhttp://www.linkedin.com/in/brynnetillman
- Post it to your LinkedIn Company Page and your newsfeed.
- Share it with other platforms such as twitter, Google+ and facebook with #hastags that are read by your target audience. In your message, you can mention (@TARGETNAME) specific people you would like to share your content with, but be sure not to SPAM them – and only send content that is purely educational not selling them anything. BONUS: When you tweet your post mention @LinkedInPulse – you get their attention and if they like your content you might be picked up and shared around the world.
- Leverage your email list to get your message in front of the people who already know, like and trust you. Use Constant Contact or a similar program so you can see exactly who is clicking through and visiting your posts (they are leads to follow up on). Every time you post your blog, email a teaser paragraph with a link back to your your LinkedIn post. Be sure to have social share buttons that encourage your readers to share it with their network.
- Add a link to your latest blog post on your email signature.
- Consistently build your LinkedIn network with your in-person relationships. Be sure to connect with your co-workers, clients, networking partners and friends as well as the prospects you speak with everyday. Each time you post on LinkedIn, your connections and followers will receive a notification (flag) in LInkedIn that tells the title of your new post. The bigger your qualified network is, the more views and readership you will have.
BONUS: Be sure to have a call-to-action at the bottom of every educational post. You’ve got them interested and engaged now you need to leverage that moment to get them to the next step.
Here are some examples of calls-to-action:
UPCOMING WEBINAR: CLICK HERE LinkedIn Thought Leadership Webinar Monday November 17th 4-5pm EST
$99 use discount code SSL50 for 50% Off
DOWNLOAD Free eBook 11 LinkedIn Ways to Use LinkedIn for Business Development
CLICK HERE Brynne Tillman is in Manhattan on December 18th teaching her full day LinkedIn & Social Selling Class – You will walk away with a full LinkedIn marketing and sales plan with step-by-step daily activity so you can monetize LinkedIn right away! Use discount code SSL25 for 25% off!
CLICK HERE to see the live 1/2 Day LinkedIn & Social Selling Class in the Philadelphia area on November 20th
REGISTER for an upcoming complimentary 1 hour classes in the Philadelphia Area
CLICK HERE to view book on Amazon.
CLICK HERE to schedule a Call with Brynne